Thursday, March 28, 2013

Write Now

Okay, so I have to admit that I have been neglecting my laptop, notebook, and legal pad.  I haven't written anything in a few weeks. I blame my lack of writing on work and traveling, but honestly the root of the problem is really having a clear idea of what to write about.

In the meantime, I have been watching several movies trying to determine what genre I love best and which suits my writing style. I am a fan of musicals (Grease, Hair Spray, The Wiz, Mama Mia, etc.), but I also enjoy my share of romantic comedies (27 dresses, My Best Friends Wedding, Bridget Jones' Diaries, etc.).  I enjoy television series like Weeds, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice.  I've watched Pride & Prejudice (both versions) at list five or six times within the last two months (twice last weekend).  I  enjoy action and adventure movies like The Goonies, Indiana Jones, and the Bourne Trilogy. My colorful array of genres makes it all the more difficult for me to settle on what to write about.

Like most new writers I pull from real life experiences because those are the things that sparked my desire to write in the first place. It never fails. Every time I take a seat at my desk, turn on my computer, and open a new word document fear creeps in around the back of my neck like sweat on a warm Louisiana day.   My mind wonders to what my mother will think of the words that I write or if my ex-boyfriend will find the similarities between my male leading character and his own personality traits. I wonder if the fight that I had with my best friend years ago feels too much like the fictional fight between the two leading characters in my story. What will people say? How will they respond? What if they laugh? What if no one wants to read it? What if? These are the thoughts that constantly run through my head. This morning as I passed my writing table and prepared for another work day, I said a quick and silent prayer. "God, remove the fear so that I can write."

There will always be people with opinions whether you want to hear them or not.  Fear can either motivate you or deter you. The longer you delay, the further you will be from achieving your goal of writing a script, a novel, or a stage play. Right now is the time. So, write now.

Happy Writing!

Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment